Sunday, August 7, 2011

From home grown to homemade



We have slowly been building up our supply of home grown tomatoes to have enough for homemade salsa.  But we eat one here, and one there so it took a while but we finally had a bunch so we thought we'd give it a try. 


We started with about 4 quarts of tomatoes, all from the garden.  As you can see some are big and some are small but we took 'em all. 


The onions we used also came out of the garden but they were more like weeds.  They just came up all by them selves.  I guess I should say I hope that these things we used were onions...but if it smells like an onion, tastes like, and onion and makes Katy cry it's probably an onion (or a jerk of a husband who hasn't showered in a few days). 



we did have to purchase peppers, garlic, and cilantro but the rest was all us, except the canning salt, lime juice, and tomato paste.  Cut and mix and viola...


 6 1/2 pints of homemade goodness.  To can food the acidity has to be at a certain level.  This recipe called for lime juice instead of vinegar to accomplish this which I thought sounded quite good, and I was indeed correct.  Very good. I would even call it delicious.  However a word of warning: you put the lime juice in the jar and not mixed into the salsa so the jar that was only filled half way with salsa was a bit strong on the lime side. I can attest to the acidity of this stuff because I have a huge canker sore on my top gums from a toothbrush gone afoul and boy did that ever sting.  But I guess I won't be getting scurvy anytime soon.  AARRRRR!

No comments: